Blog Eight

Food or Blog Eight? I'll Have Blog Eight

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sick And Tired

So basically, I'm really quite sick, and will probably be calling in sick to work for the next day or two. I keep coughing, and it hurts to cough; my voice is practically gone, and it hurts to talk for very long. I feel pretty miserable. Every day this week it's been a little bit worse. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

On the other hand, getting out of work means I avoid having Stalin as my supervisor tomorrow night.


-----

I have a request. It goes like this:

There are two reasons you put an "s" on the end of a noun. One is to show it's a plural, the other is to show that it's the owner of something (yes I have taken a Linguistics paper - it shows sometimes).

When it's a plural, you add "-s" or "-es" to the end of a word.
When it's a possessor, you add "-'s" - an "s" with an apostrophe either before or after it (depending on if it's singular or plural).

For example:

"I read a book."
"We read several books."

"The boy's piano is missing."
"The boys' pianos are missing."

(NOT "the boys piano's are missing")


Here's my request:


GET IT RIGHT!!!

It really, really gets to me when people can't get them around the right way!


-----
This last week has been mad. Basically this is what I've done (other than get sicker and sicker):

- Monday: Bum. (day off work.)
-Tuesday: Get up, bum for a bit, then go to work. Come home, go to bed.
- Wednesday: Get up, go to work, watch Pirates of the Carribean, come home, go to bed.
- Thursday: Get up, go to work, come home, crash.

Yeah, we're shortstaffed, and it's the busiest season we have ever had.


-----


In better news:

As I just mentioned, I saw Pirates of the Carribean 2 last night! The screentest! Everyone from work was invited. It gets:


7.5
out of 10.

Basically, everything you liked about the first POTC is back, and everything you didn't like about it is also back. I really, really enjoyed it. One obvious downer was Orlando Bloom's and Kiera Knightley's (is that how you spell it?) inability to act (except in a couple of places). For example, Orlando's pitiful attempt at pretending to be scared while facing Davy Jones for the first time.

I think one of my favourite parts of it has to be the entire 2nd island scene - not the first island you get to see, but the second one - the one that appears to be mostly beach (you'll know what I mean when you see it). I think it was probably the slapstick nature of a lot of that sequence, while combined with some pretty impressive fight scenes (and character interactions) that made it. I would see the entire movie again just to see that island sequence again.

It seems that a lot in the Pirates movies is based on experimenting with different forms of humour, and how to tie it in with a solid, blatantly fun, swashbuckling adventure.

Another thing, is that near the end, it suddenly takes a turn toward the epic. With the totally unexpected appearance of one or two characters, the third movie seems set up to be a real ripsnorter! (Yes, that's "ripsnorter!" with a capital "!".)

Basically there's a whole lot I want to say, but it'll spoil it for you. So all I'll say is this: Go see it. Pronto.


-----



Here's another thought (thanks Katie):


Berkeley is not a movie theatre - it is a mental institution that has 8 cinemas; and those of us inside - we are all clinically insane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home